Friday, February 25, 2011

Shuttle Discovery Vs. the Sun and Moon


By Christine Clark

Winter sunrise in Groton, Massachusetts

Yesterday, thousands of people gathered on the East coast to see Shuttle Discovery blast into the heavens. As I scanned the crowd along the Indian River Lagoon where I watched the launch, I pondered the greatness of our Earth and how often we take it for granted.
Every day, without fail, a huge fiery orb rises in the east. Every day. What would it be like if those thousands gathered and faced the east to watch the sun rise and marvel at its wonder?
Every month, without fail, a huge golden orb rises from the east and lights up the evening sky. Every month. What would it be like if those thousands gathered and faced the east to watch the full moon rise and marvel at its wonder?
Today, I am grateful that Shuttle Discovery and its crew are safely exploring the heavens I take for granted almost every day. I also will pause and note the sun and the moon and the stars and say a prayer of gratitude for the beauty that is inherent in living on this Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment