Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Filling Your Heart with Joy


“This Music Fills My Heart with Joy”

A joyful sunrise
What fills your “heart with joy”? When The Lord of the Rings, the Return of the King was released on film in 2003, I took my 10-year-old son to the movie. We had spent countless joy-filled hours as I read and he listened to The Hobbit and The Trilogy, so we eagerly anticipated each movie’s release. Not long after we saw The Return of the King, to recapture some of the film’s magic, he bought the soundtrack on CD.
It was late fall or early winter, and it was cold as we started our drive home from Barnes and Noble. The seat heaters in the Subaru Forester took the edge off the car's frigid interior until the car heat kicked in and we stopped shivering. It was dark and quiet in the car as we navigated the twisting New England back roads. My son unwrapped the CD, put it in the player, and we began listening.
As we listened, he turned to me and said, “This music fills my heart with joy.” Hearing him say those words filled my heart with joy. Each time I recall the sweetness and innocence of that poignant moment, my joy well is filled again. I don’t remember the exact cut on the CD; it had played for only a few minutes, so it was either "Hope and Memory" or "A Storm Is Coming." Music created that moment, but such moments are not limited to music. Moments that “Fill My Heart with Joy” happen often. What’s important is to notice them—to give whatever fills our hearts with joy the attention it deserves.

Gardenia joy comes from fragrance and beauty 
What fills my heart with joy? Flowers, bread just out of the oven, butter dripping across its surface, dew sparkling on leaves and blades of grass early in the day as the sun rises and turns that moisture into the most precious diamonds that exist. An infant’s laughter is perhaps the most joyful sound I’ve ever heard. My children’s laughter as I hear them from another room. The ocean’s roar as well as gentle waves that lap the shore. Putting every leaf in the dining room table to accommodate the family gathered there. Simple joys fill my heart as wellan hour curled in my rocking chair with a treasured book. A heart-to-heart phone call with a friend.

Passion flowers are a joy to behold.
What fills your heart with joy? Notice your joy and savor it. It is one of life’s most precious gifts.




You can listen to a sample of “Hope and Memory” here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018APCSQ/ref=dm_dp_trk2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335877556&sr=1-9
You can listen to a sample of “A Storm Is Coming: here:
You can get The Lord Of The Rings 3-The Return Of The King CD and listen to other cuts here:

No comments:

Post a Comment