Thursday, April 11, 2019

Stopping the Dance of Stress



Shoulders Rise in the Dance of Tension

My shoulders have become an extension of my ear lobes. Far too often recently, I feel them rise, rise, rise in a dance of tension as if they are hands reaching toward the gold hoops in my ears.
This is not the dance I imagine for myself. It lacks the fluid, graceful movements I prefer as I move through life. My imagined dance does not involve clenching, tightening, shoulders rising to where they don’t belong. My imagined dance has me light of foot, floating like mist through an English cottage garden.
Conflict with what I envision and the reality of what I feel as my shoulders tighten begin the ascent to my ears wakes me. I stop the dance of stress and breathe. I speak to myself in a gentle voice. I continue to breathe and lower those shoulders until they return to their proper place. I breathe again into the space and begin my preferred dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment