Sunday, July 22, 2018

Words: Choose Them Wisely and Use Them Well



Words Have Power
Choose Them Wisely and Use Them Well
 
“In Hebrew, the word dabar means both word and deed. A word
doesn’t merely say something. It does something. It brings something
 into being. It makes something happen.”
                            ~ Frederick Bueckner, from Listening to Your Life

Words make things happen. When I speak or write a word, that word sparks something in the listener or reader. When I, as listener or reader, encounter certain words, those words become more than a combination of letters and sounds. Those letters and sounds might evoke emotions and memories. They might spur me to action or steer me to a place of quiet contemplation. They might rouse me to anger or wash me in tears of grief and even joy.
Words have power. It is crucial that we choose them wisely and use them well.


Consider some of the words in this piece of writing. What do they evoke or inspire in you?

Speak
Write
Sparks
Encounter
Emotions
Memories
Spur
Steer
Action
Quiet
Contemplation
Rouse
Anger
Tears
Grief
Joy
Power
Wisely
Well




No comments:

Post a Comment